Sonia Vanderby Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Mechanical Engineering
I earned my doctorate in Industrial Engineering from the University of Toronto, after which I did a post-doctoral fellowship also at U of T. I then worked as a Senior Policy Advisor at the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care in Ontario. After fleeing the Ministry, I became a visiting scholar at the University of Calgary, while also continuing to pursue research at the Centre for Research in Healthcare Engineering at the University of Toronto. I was hired as an Assistant Professor at U of S in November 2011; my position here is a unique one, as a joint appointment between the Departments of Mechanical Engineering and Medical Imaging is intended to create a bridge between the Colleges of Engineering and Medicine, initiating more opportunities for inter-college collaborations. My research focus has been in the health care sector throughout my career and has led to publications in both medical and operations research journals including Radiology, Annals of Thoracic Surgery, and the Journal of the Operations Research Society. I also have taught courses at both the undergraduate and graduate level at York University and the University of Toronto, as well as at the Sheridan Institute of Technology.
Refereed Journal Publications
- Vanderby, S., Babyn, P., Carter, M., Jewell, S. and McKeever, P. (2010). Effect of anesthesia and sedation on pediatric MR patient flow, Radiology, 256, 229-237.
- Vanderby, S. and Carter, M. (2010). An evaluation of the applicability of system dynamics to patient flow modelling, Journal of the Operational Research Society, 61, 1572-1581.
- Vanderby, S., Carter, M., Latham, T., Ouzounian, M., Hassan, A., Tang, G., Teng, C., Kingsbury, K. and Feindel, C. (2010). Modelling the Cardiac Surgery Workforce in Canada, Annals of Thoracic Surgery, 90, 467-473.
- Ouzounian, M., Hassan, A., Teng, C., Tang, G., Vanderby, S., Latham, T. and Feindel, C. (2010). The Cardiac Surgery Workforce: A Survey of Recent Graduates of Canadian Training Programs, Annals of Thoracic Surgery, 90, 460-466.
- Yong, J., Schuh, S., Rashidi, R., Vanderby, S., Lau, R., Laporte, A., Nauenberg, E. and Ungar, W. (2009). A cost-effectiveness analysis of omitting radiography in diagnosis of acute bronchiolitis, Pediatric Pulmonology, 44, 122-127.
Conference Presentations / Poster Presentations
- Marshall, D., Vanderby, S., Enns, E., Frank, C., Waslylak, T., Noseworthy, T., Rogers, P., Maxwell, C., Sundaram, A. and Carter, M. (2012). Simulation modeling with system dynamics (SD) using real-world observational data to plan osteoarthritis care delivery in Alberta, International Society for Pharmacoeconomics and Outcomes Research (ISPOR) 17th Annual International Meeting, Washington DC, 2-6 May.
- Marshall, D., Enns, E., Vanderby, S., Frank, C., Maxwell, C., Waslylak, T., Mosher, D., Barnabe, C. and Noseworthy, T. (2012). Estimating incidence and prevalence of osteoarthritis (OA) in Alberta using administrative claims data, International Society for Pharmacoeconomics and Outcomes Research (ISPOR) 17th Annual International Meeting, Washington DC, 2-6 May.
- Marshall, D. and Vanderby, S. (Invited) (2012). Building a Decision Support Tool for Delivery of Health Services for Hip and Knee Osteoarthritis Patients?, Western Canada Wait List Workshop: Research in Waiting time Management, Ottawa, ON, 28 March.
- Vanderby, S. (Invited) (2012). Applications of Operations Research in the health care sector, Western Regional Training Centre for Health Services Research seminar, Saskatoon, SK, 19 January.
- Principal Investigator, Analyzing temporal and geographical variations in CT supply, demand and utilization in Saskatchewan, SHRF, Establishment Grant.
- Co-Investigator, A Decision Support Tool for Planning Integrated Sustainable Health Services for Patients with Osteoarthritis of the Hip & Knee, CIHR, Operating Grant.
- Co-Investigator, A Pilot Study Using Digital Media Technology for a Decision Support Tool to Improve Planning for Osteoarthritis Care in Alberta, W21C/Brenda Strafford Foundation Chair in Geriatric Medicine, Project Grant.
- Alberta Osteoarthritis System Dynamics model development
- Analyzing temporal and geographical variations in computed tomography supply, demand and utilization in Saskatchewan to identify opportunities to improve efficiency and access
- Lean process improvement in Magnetic Resonance Imaging at Royal University Hospital
- Modelling the Canadian orthopaedic surgery workforce system