The Local Safety Committee (LSC) reviews and addresses health and safety concerns in the College of Engineering.
The committee is one component of the university’s Occupational Health and Safety policies and procedures. In accordance with the Occupational Health and Safety Act, the University of Saskatchewan has established an Occupational Health Committee (OHC) to provide a forum for consultation between the University of Saskatchewan and representatives of its employees concerning health and safety issues in the University workplace. The primary focus of the OHC is to address health and safety issues that have implications for the University as a whole. In support of the OHC and its activities, a network of local safety committees is established to identify, review and address health and safety concerns arising at the college/division level.
Scope of this Policy
Within the College of Engineering, the Dean delegates responsibility for her role in overseeing this committee to the Associate Dean Graduate Studies and Strategic Projects (ADGS). The committee reports through the ADGS to the Dean of Engineering.
- Promoting health and safety at the university with a focus towards the Workplace Responsibility System and injury prevention.
- Assisting in identifying, eliminating and/or controlling hazards in the workplace.
- Receiving, reviewing and responding to local safety concerns in cooperation with the Workplace Safety and Environmental Protection (WSEP) unit that have not been resolved between a worker and his/her supervisor.
- Conducting workplace inspections. The frequency of inspections is to be determined based on the identified risks in the workplace. Workplace inspections shall be conducted at least once per year.
- Providing input to the department/unit head and/or ADR concerning the management of safety issues in the workplace.
- In consultation with WSEP, referring to the Occupational Health Committee (OHC) any concerns which the LSC is unable, after diligent effort, to resolve.
- Referring dangerous work refusals to the OHC.
- Cooperating with WSEP and the OHC.
Provide advice and guidance on college policies and procedures relating to the committee’s mandate.
Committee Appointment Process
- the ADGS, as Management Co-Chair
- one technician from each engineering department as appointed by the Department Head
- a representative from Engineering Shops as appointed by the ADGS
- the head custodian of the College of Engineering, as appointed by FMD
- the College Fire Warden
- a representative from Sci-Fi camps as appointed by the Associate Dean Academic
- up to three representatives selected annually by the co-chairs to ensure a diversity of perspectives on the committee
- a member of the College Administrative Office, as Secretary, as appointed by Executive Assistant to the Dean
Members of the OHC are ex-officio members.
The committee shall elect by secret ballot an employee co-chair to a three-year term.The following organizations shall be invited to attend committee meetings:
- the undergraduate engineering student association
- the graduate engineering student association